m

Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Half Empty World of the News

I don't mean the medias head, but their glass, but it may fall both ways. Recently I received a CNNMoney Alert with the disturbing headline "Leading indicators rise, but miss Wall Street forecasts, pointing to sluggish economic growth." When I clicked it I found that unemployment claims dropped to "299,000 last week, down from 309,000 the previous week" and that the Dow broke the magic 12,000 mark. These stories are, by any stretch of the imagination, good news.

I read the story in its entirety and the only "signs" of "sluggish" growth were in specific stock sectors, not in the economy as a whole. The media, the perpetual bad news mongers, are so desperate for bad news they "find it" where it doesn't exist. It appears that people in business are going to continue to create good business news and ignore the medias fiction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home