m

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Houston Business Show Celebrates Five Years

The Houston Business Show is celebrating its fifth year this month and over the last half decade the show has undergone enormous change. Here are a few highlights:

* It started off with my old friend Kent Batman as co-host, which he held that spot for about 5 months. Shortly after that Aubrey Theode was the host until January of this year. Then, Mark Jeffrey of UBuildIt served in that spot for six months and is now busily hosting his own show with me (the UBuildIt New Home Show). Currently I am hosting the show on my own with several guest co-hosts including Jim Stein of the Bank of Houston and others. Each of these people have made a great contribution to the show.

* When the show started there were many concerns of whether it could last. Remember what happened in September of 2001? By the end of the week that included September 11th I had lost roughly half of my sponsors for a show I had worked on for four months. I decided I wasn't going to allow terrorists to destroy my new venture. Today, the Houston Business Show is the longest running show on CNN 650. I guess we made a great choice.

* The show went from being on Sunday at noon to the very popular time of Monday at 1:00 PM. This is, of course, a much larger audience.

* There was no Business Show Advisors at the beginning, now we have them in virtually every business discipline and they play an important part of this show.

* There wasn't a HoustonBusiness.com or Houston Business Review, and you couldn't hear it online. I received an email around three years after starting the show from Steve Carr of HoustonJobs.com in which he asked if I would like to buy HoustonBusiness.com. I did want to and did so with the help of Henry Fasthoff and others. Today, thanks to excellent PR, web development, content development, huge directory development, news content and other efforts, HoustonBusiness.com has become an Internet monster with around 80,000 unique visitors each month, a Google ranking of 6 (the same as the Houston Business Journal and the Houston Chronicle), and now literally hundreds of pages of content.

* There was no Business Plus blog which has already developed a Google ranking of 4 in only 4 months.

There have been many changes since the show began in 2001, but our commitment to providing sound business news, from a solidly local perspective has been unchanging. If you want to learn more about the show, newsletter, or HoustonBusiness.com, email us at kj_hbr@sbcglobal.net.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home