m

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Sen. Tim Johnson's Condition Shows Sad State of Affairs





Anyone who reads my blog with frequency knows my party and ideological preferences. With that in mind, I would be delighted to see the balance of power in the Senate go back to the GOP. However, I would not want to see that happen at the expense of a human being. The human being in question is Sen. Tim Johnson (D-SD), who is suffering from an intracerebral bleed caused by a congenital arteriovenous malformation and his condition is described as "critical." Such a health crisis can be permanently dibilitaging or lead to death, the Senator's well being should be the concerns of everyone.

National Public Radio in an online article stated headline stated: "Sen. Johnson's Illness and the Balance of Power." The concern over the Senate going back to the Republicans (the current balance is 51 D - 49 R, Mike Rounds the governor of South Dakota is a Republican and is expected to choose someone in that party, if necessary, to serve in Johnson's place, giving the majority to the Republicans because of Vice President's Cheney's tie breaking power in the Senate) was seen in virtually every news story I heard and most articles I read on the subject. In many stories, the Senator's health was almost secondary to the control of the Senate.

The situation reminded me of a kid borrowing a bike, riding it across the street and getting hit by a car, and everyone being more concerned about the condition of the bicycle and how that will "affect others" than the person who was riding it. I hope the Senator fully recovers, regardless of my very strong political leanings. I hope all Americans take that more civil position.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home