m

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Pearl Harbor Day: Remembering Days of Lost Innocence

"December 7th, 1941, a day that will live in infamy." Those were the words of Franklin Roosevelt regarding the attack by the Japaneese on Pearl Harbor. For many in my father's generation, this was a day of lost innocence. He was 21 on that day and he was as shocked as the rest of the nation over what took place in the middle of so-called peace talks. For the first time, he felt the US was truly vulnerable to foreign powers.

Days like this are important to people of every generation. I am a part of the extreme edge of the Baby Boom generation, having been born in December of 1961. Because of my age at the time of John F. Kennedy's death, I'm not considered a "real" boomer. However, my oldest brother was 17 on that November 1963 day and he remembers it as his time for lost innocence. A time when no one felt safe and the world seemed quite chaotic.

For me, my day of lost innocence was September 11, 2001. I was much later in age that my brother or father, and I certainly wasn't naieve about how things were in the country or world. But the ugly nature of the problems facing the rest of the world and the dangers that are in it, became very real that day.

On this day -- December 7th -- you might mention to people who experienced Pearl Harbor by living at that time, that you sympathize or even empathize and that you appreciate the sacrafice of their generation.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved this post. My date of lost innocence was October 23, 1983 (I was 17 then). 241 of our service men, many Marines and one of them my friend Timothy McMahon were killed at the Beirut bombing. The Marines served a peace keeping mission in the middle east. I knew then that the world was a dangerous place. We all know now, that we live in a dangerous place and history reveals that you cannot appease your enemy.

Semper Fi!

Andy Valadez
USMC 88 to 92

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home