m

Friday, December 01, 2006

The Quest for a Better Blog

Recently I obtained a copy of the e-book, Build a Better Blog and I absolutely love it. One of the first things I like about it is that it is perfect for skipping around. It is really the compilation of dozens of articles that stand on their own, yet very well organized. I also like how the book cuts to the chase. The authors, Patsi Krakoff and Denise Wakeman, have made word economy a priority, which is imperative in business writing today.

Because of my desire to find what I want now, I cut straight to a little chapter entitled "17 Mistakes Professionals Make with Their Blogs." There the authors discuss content, design, and marketing. Overall they tell me I'm certainly moving in the right direction, but there is always room for improvement. For examlple, although I write often (it suggests 2-3 times, I'm closer to 4-5), I might write too much each time (one of several content issues); although I make it easy to get to know me on the home page of the blog, I don't make it easier for people to subscribe yet (design); and although I submitted this blog to many blog directories, it is promoted in the Houston Business Review and on my radio show, I still don't "ping" as we add new content, but I'm working on it (marketing). For a new blog, I'm doing well, but it is a work in progress.

I would love comments back on how to improve my blog, comments on what you like about it, and other blogs that you suggest I visit that are business oriented. Furthermore, if you are serious about blogs, I strongly suggest you get a copy of Build a Better Blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home