m

Monday, February 26, 2007

The Rise and Opportunity of Independent Films

My pastor and several others who attend my church have been suggesting I see "Facing the Giants." During the Holiday Season, when it was still on the big screen, they told me I should take my family to it as the perfect "Christmas movie." This promotion of the movie went on for a few months and I finally broke down and rented the DVD over the weekend. I only wish I had gotten it earlier. This David and Goliath movie about over coming fear made all of us laugh and cry. I'm now planning on buying it just to have around the house for when the kids are looking for something to watch. Speaking of the kids, they talked about the movie the rest of the day and it kept all of them -- from the 8 year old on up-- glued to the TV the entire time. This is pretty impressive since the film only cost $100,000 to make.

That's right, $100,000, and here are a few other interesting facts about the movie:

* It opened up on only 441 screens nationwide (a fraction of the number that most movies enjoy)

* Only 3 other movies in the top ten had higher revenues that weekend

* The film grossed over $10,000,000 -- a huge return on the investment

This isn't the only independent film surprise out there, there is also the far better known Little Miss Sunshine. It cost only $8 million to make, but grossed over $60 million in 6 months. Furthermore, this delightful dark comedy (a strange, but true, combination) has been nominated for virtually every award under the sun and has won many of them. Just last night Alan Arkin won for best supporting actor and original screenplay.

Another sign of the growth of such films, although admittedly only from personal experience, is the number of people I know in the film production business (mainly commercials) who are in the process of making movies. I have met around 5 or 6 in the last few months and all of them are making their own, low budget, movie. I will say that as someone in business I didn't like many of their answers about distribution. A couple came very close to saying "if I build it, they will come." That makes for a great movie, but only if you can get it to audiences.

But with the huge potential return on investment, such projects are very worthy of closer examination. And in era where consumers seem to despise commercials, the product placement potential on an independent film is affordable and it is likely to be seen over and over again for many years to come.

I strongly suggest you visit with someone who knows something about these type of films. Business Show Advisor Andy Valadez is actually involved in these type of projects and is working with both film makers and those who finance such works. I suggest you visit with him about why such projects are exploding.

I only expect such films to continue to grow and movies with a strong moral message, such as Facing the Giants, are spreading like wildfire through viral marketing at churches and schools. I know this from first hand experience (see the opening sentence).

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger benp said...

We wanted to let you and film enthusiasts know about a new service for all filmmakers and film students that can be seen on www.mymovienetwork.com We are running film contests right now for cash and prizes and we have a place for filmmakers and film festivals to promote their work, events, have a profile and portfolio, use scouting features, write blogs, interact with others through private messages and much more.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Kevin Price said...

Although clearly an advertisement and something I would normally shoot down, the site looks interesting and worth checking out. It isn't an endorsement (nor an invitation to other self-promoters whom I constantly reject), but it does seem worth a little of one's time.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Andy Valadez said...

Kevin,

I watched the movie over the weekend twice. Once with my wife, Tina, and once with my 6 year old daughter, Kayla. I think my girl got the message, she loved the movie.

It is funny how this story mirrors our lives. I think we are all called to live the adventure God has created for us. Sadly, we quit or live an uninspired, seeking to be significant .

This movie shows what an impact people can have on each other when they take the focus off of themselves and onto the one who created us and his plan. Our giants can be defeated. It is amazing story of victory in every area of life (i.e., professional, family, community, and personal).

Sincerely,

Andy Valadez
StealthMarketer/The Marketing Dynamics

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home