m

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Welcome to Hulu!

Virtually every day I see another story about the media lines blurring. TV on the web. The web on TV. Radio everywhere. It is an incredibly exciting time to monitor media today. The latest addition to this change is a website called Hulu. I heard about it on the Today Show (and Hulu was created by its parent company, GE and News Corp, what a surprise).

Don't be fooled by the name, it has nothing to do with Hawaii or dancing (oh, that's hula), but it has a great deal to do about how people will get entertained. The site is a huge TV and movie treasure chest with full episodes of shows you typically can't find on TV. This includes Time Tunnel, Welcome Back Kotter, Dragnet, and more. I think I might be spending some time on it. The movie section is not nearly as interesting and is largely dominated by "B" flicks. However, on a slow TV night, some will watch them.
Many -- if not most -- of the the TV episodes and Movies are in their entirety, although there are also numerous clips. My gut tells me few will go for the clips because they can find much more at YouTube and Google video, but I do believe the site will be a hit. It is, again, one more example of how media is changing forever.
The site will be a work in progress and starting with a strange name like "Hulu" will do nothing to attract traffic in my opinion. But I think this site will likely be another benchmark in the move away from traditional media.

For a copy of the free report, "Why Your Marketing Isn't Working," email Info@HoustonBusinessShow.com and put "marketing" in the subject line.

Kevin Price is Host of the Houston Business Show (M-F at 11 AM on CNN 650) and Publisher of the Houston Business Review. Hear the show live and online at HoustonBusinessShow.com. Visit the archive of past shows here.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool site, but I actually like the name.

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the quality of the clips are superior than YouTube and other sources. I think people like them more.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home