m

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Am I a Prophet of Doom?

Recently I gave, what I thought, was a very optimistic assessment of America's future at one of the many organizations I speak at. When I finished I enjoyed enthusiastic applause and I was happy with the response. However, after I walked from the speakers platform, many people walked up to me and said "you sure do paint a grim picture," "you scared me to death," "I guess there is little hope for my grandchildren," and other words of "encouragement." I scratched my head in confusion and wondered if they had heard the same speech I had delivered.

I spoke about the Megatrends that are changing the world in which we live. These changes are a challenge for us, but challenges we are more than able to overcome and, in fact, they will help us to thrive. The US will not be a victim of globalization, crowdsourcing (the masses competing for jobs held by professionals), or any of the other factors that are leading to the elimination of barriers in the world of business. In fact, we will be the victors.

One of the biggest challenges that have come from the dynamically changing world is the higher gas prices that are a result from demand by countries that were historically under users of energy. The two biggest examples are China and India. Unfortunately, the media has largely failed to point out how both of these countries (as well as Russia, Brazil, and others) have seen dramatic increases in gas consumption. That, more than anything else, has led to the tremendous increase in prices at the pump.

Europeans have faced high gas prices like we have experienced for the last couple of years for decades. What have they done about it? They kept going to the pump, reduced the size of their cars, and got on a bus or train. What have Americans done about it? They have waged a war on gasoline dependence these last couple of years and are moving rapidly towards ethanol, biodiesel, and other alternatives. In the next decade I expect our dependency on foreign oil to be largely behind us and the cost of fuel for vehicles and home to be at lows we haven't seen in years. That's just the American way. It took angry Americans to make this change. We simply rise to the challenge.

Americans are the masters of change. Not only are we seldom victims of it, we are usually the force driving it. When you hear me speak about change, don't worry, we Americans can handle it. And if any of them make us uncomfortable or even cry, it will be on the way to the bank.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home