m

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Billionaire Envy

One of the things I can't stand in our modern culture is billionaire envy. That's right, billionaire envy. I get tired of social activists, politicians, or even common citizens who take pop shots at the 700 or so people who fall in the billionaire category. Heck, most of these people even attack mere millionaires, and I simply don't get it. These self-appointed parents want to tell us that the rich make "too much" and that the super affluent "need" to share the wealth with the rest of us.

Maybe it is because I have seen too many rags to riches stories, maybe it is my gut belief that economic freedom should be protected, or maybe it is because my wife and I combined have eight kids. That's right, eight kids (no, we are not Mormon, its a long story). Any way, with all these kids I hear constantly that it "isn't fair" that Stephen has this or Liz has that. My response to such childish behavior is to ask, "what can you do to get what he or she has?" Do you honestly expect me to take what they have away from them and give it to you? What incentive would you have to work harder or do more if I did the same to you? I want all my kids to be successful and I can't achieve that goal by punishing any of them for their success. I believe this common sense approach to child rearing transcends into governing. The more we encourage people to succeed, the greater the likelihood of more people succeeding. It is as simple as that.

VH1 recently did a show about the lifestyles of billionaires and it pointed out that Bill Gates makes $4 million a night while sleeping. I'm suppose to be envious of this. Instead, it makes me wonder how I can achieve the same thing. I believe that is healthy ambition, which is what has made this country so great.

Does that mean that I don't believe the rich should pay their fair share? The truth is they do and then some. According to the National Center for Policy Analysis, the top 1 percent pay 35% of the nation's taxes. This is excessive and punitive. It doesn't make sense. I tell these critics of the wealthy to grow up, go out, and make more. After that they can share their wealth as they so desire and stop getting the government to do the redistributing for them. If they shifted a little envy towards healthy ambition, they could do so much more good than merely criticizing those who are successful (many of whom give millions and billions to charity).

By the way, I'm not super rich, but I certainly would like to be some day. It is our nation's historic respect for that desire that has made America so prosperous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home