m

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Balancing Act of Blogging

I was very slow to get on the blog bandwagon. It isn't because I don't have a lot to say (I'm full of opinions), but that I have such a limited time. Of course, many of the millions who have a blog could say the same thing, and there is no question in my mind that the blog is going to remain a powerful force in media. I decided I simply had to jump in.
Early on I did very little. I think I was averaging around one a week and was very proud of myself for doing that much. Now I average around four a week and feel guilty when I miss more than a few days. The big concern facing every blogger is, what do I write about? How do I keep up the pace at a rate that readers desire? When I made the decision to take this seriously, I stewed on that concern for quite a while.

Now it seems I come up with something, even when I don't feel particularly inspired. There's always a crazy news story, self consumed politician, or great new idea that gives me fodder for writing. Still, I have these periods, like last week, where it felt like I could write in my blog every day. In fact, I felt like I could write posts several times a day during that time. After a couple of days of this I kept thinking in the back of my mind, "I'm going to run out of material," or "I'm using up several weeks on this week alone." But then I will counter, "that's silly, be inspired, write more."

Well after a week of what felt like hyper-blogging, this week has been a little slow. But what I have found over time is that blogging is a discipline, like anything else, and writing posts leads to the writing of more posts. Why did I write this post? Well I said it was a slow week. But I also hope that this proves to be helpful for others who have slow weeks of blogging too.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home