m

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Range Rover's Excellent Commercial

The most recent commercial I have seen of Range Rover, featuring Flaming Lips compelling "Do You Realize" is one of the best commercials on TV today, in my opinion. The music is extremely inviting and the video footage simply demands my attention.

The video asks several compelling questions, reminding the reader of the once great vehicle maker's history. We are reminded that it was part of entourages that protected heads of state and government. We see it participating in serious competitions under the most harsh conditions -- and winning. You cannot see the footage and hear the dialogue without being impressed. Very impressed.
The commercial reminded me of the Range Rovers I saw in adventure movies as a child. The great safaris I recall in the movie Born Free. It reminded me of a very special vehicle.
Not too long ago, a friend of mine had a Range Rover. It was a really attractive vehicle. He told me he was putting it up for sale and I was interested. He said, "no, I couldn't do that to you." His vehicle, he went on to say, was a horrible vehicle, spending far more in the repair garage than the home garage. He said, "ask anyone who owns a Range Rover today, the new ones are terrible."

I thought back about the commercial and in all bout a few seconds of the 30 second spot was made up of old footage. That spot is a celebration of what was versus what is. If they could raise the quality to match the commercial, they would have a winner.


Kevin Price is Host of the Houston Business Show (M-F at 11 AM on CNN 650) and Publisher of the Houston Business Review. Hear the show live and online at HoustonBusinessShow.com. Visit the archive of past shows here.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the commercial too, but the modern Range Rover is very week. Good post.

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I notice the effect on others, too. My kids are even impressed by it!

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet most of the people you know have problems with LAND Rovers, not RANGE Rovers. The difference? Land Rovers are the low end vehicle of the maker. My Land Rover is excellent. Expensive to repair, but hadn't needed it.

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I almost think the music made the commercial. I love that song. Wasn't that song used in a Vegas commercial?

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just watched the commercial yesterday on tv and I fell in love with it, but I watched a longer version of it. Can anyone help me to find it? The car is gorgeous, the most elegant SUV ever made.

1:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home