m

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Hey, Katie Couric, I Hate to Say I told You So


Hey Katie, I actually miss you on NBC's Today and wish we had you back. I'm also sorry to be right about my prediction shortly after you took the helm of CBS Nightly News that it wouldn't work out for you. But right I was, it appears. And although you may not be leaving your anchor spot any time soon, it appears you won't be raising your ratings much either.

The reasons why I said it wouldn't work back on Sept. 5 of 2006:

1) It isn't a real news program, but a mini version of a news magazine.

2) She isn't the right approach to reach the typical nightly news viewer who is 60 years old. She is too young and possibly too female, for the hard news crowd who tends to watch that type of programming (I believe viewers of such programs prefer an older son or the wise next door neighbor over a younger female).

3) Finally, that demographic (60 year olds) isn't even the group advertisers are trying to reach. Rather they are looking for the affluent and time crunched "Accumulators", who get the news when they want and it isn't at 6:30 Eastern.

She went from number 1 her first week as anchor when people tuned in out of curiosity and she is already down to number 3. CBS's $15 million lady may already be in trouble. But I think that was the case before she even did her first broadcast.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home