m

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

New Book Helps Parents to Raise Americans

I haven't read this book yet, but I'm requesting it today for review. It addresses a concern that I have had for quite some time, which is our institutional disdain for the things that made America great. One of the more powerful and pervasive of such institutions is the news media, which has been a frequent theme in this blog.

The book is entitled How to Raise an American (by Myrna Blyth and Chriss Winston) and it is filled with activities, fun facts, and other useful information to help our children love their country. This is, of course, one of the objectives of public school, in my opinion, but they seem to be failing on this front in many respects.

A great example of this was expressed by one of the book’s authors, Myrna Blyth, who pointed out in an interview on Fox & Friends that in a typical US history textbook there are only 80 references to America’s first walk on the moon verses nearly 1,000 on the Iran-Contra scandal. Young Americans are being hammered on what’s wrong with our country, but hearing very little about one of the greatest achievements of all mankind.

Again, I haven’t read this book, but I have been long concerned about the lack of such quality information in the classroom. If they are not going to get it there, we need to help them get it at home. I intend to read the book and give you my grade on it at a later date. Meanwhile, you might want to begin doing a little research on it yourself. Our children could certainly use our help in this matter.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm ashamed by what my kids are learning in school. I'll check this book out.

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home