m

Friday, September 28, 2007

Chevy Commercial: Come and Get It?

One of my favorite bands was Badfinger. I'm not very superstitious, but it appears this great band was horribly cursed and couldn't achieve the level of success people expected in spite of being handpicked by the Beatles to be the first group after them on the Apple label.

I was delighted to "hear" the latest Chevrolet commercial with the Badfinger hit "Come and Get It." Sure, it would have been better if they had used the actual group and not some commercial covering and it would have been better still if it had been a song written by them and not Paul McCartney (no offense, but I actually like the other Badfinger hits better than this). But still, this was very exciting, even though I'm not sure if any of the members make a penny from the commercial since the performance is not by them and the song was written by someone else.

Any way, I'm watching this commercial, which is about the great deals you can get by buying from Chevrolet at this time and next thing you know I'm singing it (with jeers and boos from family members) and I remember lines not used in the commercial. "Did I hear you say that there must be a catch? Will you walk away from a fool and his money?" Hmmm, no wonder Chevrolet didn't want you to hear the rest of the song. After all, the viewer might wonder who the fool is? Any way, I like the spot, but I wonder if I am the only one who knows the lyrics who are watching those commercials.

Maybe Chevrolet should stick with simpler spots where they control the content, like the one above.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is hilarious Kev. A fool and his money ...

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home