m

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Christmas in October?

I admit, I have been watching closer than in the past, but I can't believe how early in the year it is to see a Christmas commercial. Here we are on October 10th and I saw a commercial for a company that will set up your Christmas lights. Meanwhile I have noticed more Christmas displays in malls earlier than in any time in my memory.


"Before Halloween had come and gone, I saw my first Christmas commercial. I think it was for a car, I don't remember, but it may be the earliest commercial I have seen for this important holiday.I believe I have a pretty realistic view of the past and I am fairly reasonable about not looking at my childhood through romantic eyes, but I believe that commercials for Christmas didn't usually begin until a week before Thanksgiving. That has been creeping to an earlier date year after year to where, eventually, it will probably begin after Independence Day, bringing new meaning to Christmas in July.I understand that Christmas is important. More consumer goods are bought between Thanksgiving and Christmas than any other time of the year. The more that is spent, the more fuel for the economic fire. However, I just want to encourage everyone to not forget the reason for this important holiday season."

I remember that it was the week of October. This year it was October 10th when I saw the first Christmas commercial. My advise this year is the same as last...don't forget the real reason for the season. The volume of commercials we will likely see may make that goal difficult to achieve.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home