m

Monday, July 23, 2007

Whatever happenend to Barnes and Noble?


This weekend I did something I haven't done in a long time. I spent a couple of hours just hanging out at my local Barnes and Noble book store. I use to go often on weekends and use it as a time for catching up on my reading and just to relax in one of their big, comfy chairs.

I thought I stop going because of the Internet. After all, the obsolescence of virtually everything seems to be linked to the World Wide Web. But I was reminded this reason about the actual reason. The chair (see picture).


Back in the old days, a visit to Barnes and Noble meant some time in a big comfy chair while reading the latest books or magazines. Today when I went there were around 60 people in the store and around 4 big comfy chairs. It had all the markings of a very aggressive game of musical chairs. I circled the chairs a couple of times to try to size up when people were sitting and you could tell they were nervous. After all, I wasn't the only one eyeing these seats.

They were buckled down and the ladies pulled their purses a little closer in case some of these people had different intentions. I wasn't going to stand there forever, so I started wandering the rows and rows of books until I found a chair. One that looks like the one above. I was going to actually take a picture of the chair I sat in with my cell phone, but I couldn't even stand up straight after spending over an hour in it.

Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoyed my visit until I got up. But the chair is a definite factor as to why I don't spend much time there. With around 60 there, I may have been the only one who felt that way. But I miss the good old days when it comes to Barnes and Noble.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home