m

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

On the Show: Are You a Business Maverick?

On a recent show I had the opportunity to interview Polly LaBarre, author of the best selling, Mavericks at Work. The book immediately caught my attention (it is one of the many that comes in my mail box). After all, I always considered myself something of a maverick.

In the interview, I found Polly to be bright, insightful, and practical. So often, individuals with a writing background (she was formerly with Fast Company magazine) tend to lack the real world experience necessary to bridge the gap between business and academia. She certainly fills that void.

The core values of the book are demonstrated on the website: "Business as usual is bust. In industry after industry, the old guard is cutting back and losing ground. Meanwhile, organizations and entrepreneurs that were once dismissed as upstarts, wildcards-mavericks-are making waves and growing fast. There's a reason: In an age of hyper-competition and nonstop innovation, the only way to stand out from the crowd is to stand for something truly original. Mavericks show you how-by helping you to rethink your strategy, reinvent your approach to innovation, reconnect with your customers, and rediscover the power of your people."

The following is that interview, which is definitely worth hearing again.

Kevin Price is Host of the Houston Business Show (M-F at 11 AM on CNN 650) and Publisher of the Houston Business Review. Hear the show live and online at HoustonBusinessShow.com. Visit the archive of past shows here.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good interview. I will need to get the book. I saw the co-author on TV and suggest you get him on some time too.

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually read the book. I recommend it too.

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked the interview. I will say though, se still sounds more of an oberver than a player.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home