m

Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Incredible Shrinking Katie Couric

Katie Couric (photo, in much happier days) continues to struggle in the ratings game and the future looks grim, to say the least. There have been several firings all around her and reorganization in the news department is inevitable.

I've said on this site before that "I hate to say I told you so," but I must be lying, because I again want to point out that she was destined to fail. I pointed this out the day she joined CBS News. The reasons are simple:

* Nightly news is made up primarily of mature males and seem to like someone who can sit down and visit with them. An attractive, relatively younger woman may not fit that description when it comes to the weighty news issues of the day.

* Cheap ploys, like attempting to use an attractive woman to reach a more profitable and younger demographic won't work. The younger people want their news immediately. The best source for that is online.

* I think that older viewers (the average age of a nightly news watcher is 60) tends to be more conservative. Katie Couric built a reputation at NBC as a liberal and carries it with her to CBS.

Couric was "dead on arrival" when she arrived at Nightly News. I cannot say for sure what the future holds for her, but I feel comfortable saying that it doesn't include staying at CBS.

Labels: , ,