m

Monday, October 29, 2007

Phantom Cell Phone Sensation

Let's face it, our lives are better because of technology for many reasons. We can access the information we want quicker and at unheard of locations just a few years ago. But I have been noticing a recent down side lately.

Have you ever sat in a comfortable chair watching a TV and feel a vibration in your pants leg and you think it is your phone? Sure enough, if you are my age, getting to it isn't as easy as it use to be so you struggle to get your hand in your pocket and you find the phone isn't even there. In fact, this problem has become so common that I actually now feel the outside part of my leg and make sure before I dive in.

It appears I am not the only one with this problem. Medical professionals have a name for it. They call it "phantom cell phone sensation." It is similar to what amputees feel after they lose a limb. There is the feeling that it is still there. In our case, we feel the vibration with no cell phone around.

Unfortunately for me, this problem will not go away any time soon. I'm on the air M-F, I also do weekly TV shows, and in between such I am in meeting after meeting. I have to keep it in vibrate mode or off (which I do on TV because of static it generates on my microphone even in vibration mode).

So if you were concerned that you were developing health issues, it appears there is no concern. It is just the "haunting" effect of technology. However, I will remind you that I'm not a doctor and don't play one on TV, so visit a doctor's second opinion if you have any questions. There is nothing like our litigation nation; but that will be another blog topic. Note on the video. I found this on YouTube, an example of others who suffer from this same issue.
Order Kevin Price's audio program The Accumulators, which explains the impact that the Internet is having on marketing and consumer behavior. It is available online here for only $10 plus p and h. Receive the Houston Business Review e-zine free each week by clicking here.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home